Scholarship Terms and Conditions
- Applicants must be the son or daughter of an active-duty sworn law enforcement officer employed by one of the following Northern Alabama law enforcement agencies: Huntsville, Madison, Decatur, Triana or Athens Police Departments or the Madison or Morgan County Sheriff’s Offices.
- Scholarships will be awarded only to those applicants that have enrolled for at least 9 hours of classes per term in an accredited community college, junior college, college or university. Applicants may be high school seniors or students who are already attending an institution of higher learning. Applications will be accepted prior to a student’s actual enrollment but to be awarded the scholarship an applicant must be enrolled.
- Applicants must submit a written essay (typed and in English) of no more than 2,000 words (no minimum) that expresses the applicant’s experiences growing up as a child of a law enforcement officer and how those experiences affected them.
- Applications must be accompanied by a completed “cover page” which may be found on Cops’ Kids’ website: copskids.com
- A scholarship in the amount of $2,000 will be awarded to the applicant who, solely in the opinion of the judges retained by Cops’ Kids to review the essays, has submitted the best essay. The scholarship funds will be paid directly to the institution of higher learning.
- Applications will be accepted only between January 1st and March 31st. Any submissions received outside of those dates will be returned and will not be considered.
- An applicant may submit only one essay per year. Applicants may submit an essay each year without regard as to whether or not they have submitted an essay in any prior year as long as they meet all other requirements. Scholarship recipients may submit a new essay and are eligible for scholarships awarded in the years subsequent to their having been a scholarship recipient under this program as long as they meet all other requirements.
- Cops’ Kids, Inc. will become the sole and exclusive owner of the essay once it is submitted and will have all right and authority to use the essay – in whole or in part – for any purpose including publicity, publication, sale or any other use consistent with the corporation’s mission. In any use of the submitted essays only the first name of the applicant will be identified unless the applicant (or, if under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian) allows additional personal identification.
- It is the intention of Cops’ Kids to publish a collection of the essays that have been submitted once a sufficient number of acceptable essays have been received. Cops’ Kids intends to make the collections available for purchase by the general public. Any and all funds from the sale of the collections will be used to fund future scholarships and become the sole property of Cops’ Kids, Inc. Applicants and their families waive any right or interest, including a right to royalties, arising from the sale of such collections.
- Cops’ Kids, Inc. will pay the entire $2,000 to the school. We intend to instruct the school administrators that the funds may be used for the cost of tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment required for courses of instruction at that institution.
- Should a student withdraw from school before all of the scholarship funds have been distributed and there are unspent funds remaining, Cops’ Kids, Inc. reserves the right to seek a return of the unspent funds. Likewise, should it be determined that any qualifying information submitted was false or that the essay was not the original work of the recipient, Cops’ Kids, Inc. reserves the right to seek a return of all funds.
- Cops’ Kids, Inc. reserves the right to amend, delete or alter the “Terms & Conditions” set forth above without notice. However, if any such changes are made during the period in which applications are being accepted, those applicants who have submitted essays prior to the changes will be advised of the changes by email and allowed to amend their applications if necessary to comply with the amended “Terms & Conditions.”
- By submitting a scholarship application/essay to Cops’ Kids, Inc., applicants acknowledge having read and understood the “Terms & Conditions” set forth herein and have agreed to abide by them.
P. O. Box 4025
Huntsville, AL 35815